Thursday, August 6, 2009

Is there a magical number for internships?

Remember when you were a kid and all you had to do was climb into your Mom or Dad's lap and ask them a question? They always had an answer. Boy do I miss those days! If my parents could answer the question that's been plaguing me for months I would feel a heck of a lot better. I talked to numerous recent college graduates and PR professionals and asked them the same question: Is there a magical number for internships? I received an array of answers.

There is no magical number. Quality is worth more than quantity.

I'm sure we all know at least one over achiever who had five to six internships, which makes you think...do I really need that many? Every professional I spoke with informed me that employers are looking for students who can prove that their skills benefited the company. Just mentioning you can write well and send off press releases is good, but what was the result of your work? Did you have any measurable goals at your internship and were you able to meet them? Employers will be impressed if a recent grad. can walk into an interview and prove (with numbers) that they were of value to the company they interned with.

If you do not have the time for an internship volunteer!

Whoever said there is ONE way to gain experience in Public Relations? Not only is volunteering an excellent choice for students who do not have the time for an internship, but it's an excellent networking opportunity. You can only imagine the high volume of people you will meet by simply asking if you can volunteer at a college career fair, networking mixer, or a huge event like the Philadelphia International Flower Show.

I know there are more answers to this question. If you would like to add your expertise to this list sound off!

No comments:

Post a Comment